Shillong jailbreak probe to be expedited: CM
SHILLONG, June 2 – Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said in the Assembly today that the process to expedite the Shillong jailbreak probe has been undertaken with urgency and the government was on the look out for a judge to head the probe.
Last year’s May 31 jailbreak probe is in a state of limbo after retired Gauhati High Court judge Justice D Biswas resigned half way through an ongoing judicial inquiry commission.
The Biswas Commission was scheduled to submit its report on May 31 this year. However, Justice Biswas resigned on April 10, saying he had accepted an offer from the Assam Government to head a Lok Ayukta.
In May 31 last year, several dreaded under trial prisoners fled from the Shillong District Jail. Amongst them was Fullmoon Dhar a “contract killer.” Fullmoon was later gunned down in a police encounter and others arrested in Jaintia Hills. There has been allegation that Fullmoon was killed in a fake encounter for his high profile contacts.
Sangma admitted that there has been delay in the probe and pledged that his government was trying its best to appoint a new judge to complete the probe.
“We have sent our proposal to several judges to head the inquiry commission,” he said adding, a response in this regard is being awaited.
Sangma also assured that mandatory clauses would be inserted during appointment of the new judge so that a similar resignation (like Justice Biswas) is not repeated.
“The government would incorporate mandatory provisions in the terms of appointment of the new Judge to ensure that the incumbent does leave the Commission half way”, Sangma said.
Refusing to give a deadline when a judge would be appointed, Sangma said, it all now depends on the acceptance of the judges to whom the proposals were sent. He, however, declined to give the names of the judges to whom the proposals to head the Commission were sent. (Assam Tribune)