Diabetes mellitus : Herbal care -63
Contd. from last Tuesday
Diabetic Diet: The Secret “Yin-yang method of perpetual youth and health. The Meaning of Yin and Yang. Ancient Oriental healers believed that there was a constant struggle in the human body comparable to the same struggle in Nature between opposing forces. The fluctuations of these two polar forces, Yin and Yang, were said to influence universal energy and regulate the body’s youth and health. The Oriental healers followed the basic principles of fact medicine by treating the cause of an illness through correcting this imbalance. Once the Yin and Yang principles were properly balanced, the cause of the ailment was said to be corrected and the symptoms subsided.
Today, in our modern knowledge, we know that the Oriental folk healers were ahead of their time in making this discovery of perpetual youth and health. We may not call these forces Yin or Yang, we may call them acidity or alkalinity, for example. However, despite cultural differences, the Orientals’ discovery of these forces must be recognized as a significant scientific contribution.
The Health influence of Yin. Yin signifies acid secretions in the digestive system and an expansion of its functions, it is considered a passive, cool, dark and somewhat receptive element. Yin-dominated body parts include the liver, heart, spleen, lungs and kidneys. Orientalists feel that disorders of these emotions or body parts indicate a disturbance in the Yin factor.
The Health Influence of Yang. Yang signifies alkaline secretions in the digestive system and a soothing element, it is considered more actively healing, warm, bright and more independent. Yang dominated body parts include the intestinal and bowel tracts, gall bladder stomach and bladder. Orientalists feel that disorders of these emotions or body parts indicate a disturbance in the Yang factor.
How Foods can help regulate the Health building Yin-Yang balance. Orientalists maintain that good health is a reward for regulating the Yin-Yang balance through common-sense eating of special foods. The folk healers, who managed to learn of these secrets used them for correcting disorders among the people. They created this amazingly simple, amaxingly modern guide for helping to regulate the balance with simple eating practices. Today, the Orientalists have blended the ancient with the modern as a means of creating a basic set of 12 steps to a healthful yin-Yang balance through judicious eating.
The 12 Oriental secrets for health building. As you read these 12 steps, note that then draw from thousands of years of folk healing are balanced with our modern knowledge of good health:
1. In a cold (Yin) climate, eat more grains, vegetables, fish and desired meats. In a warm (Yang) climate, eat more fruits and vegetables and less of fish and meats. This helps establish a healthy balance in your digestive system and promotes more favourable assimilation.
2. Your foods should be a natural as possible. The modern Oriental folk healers are aware of chemicalized and industrialized foods and urge their followers to avoid them in order to help maintain the delicate Yin-Yang balance. The suggest eliminating all canned or bottled foods. The belief is that since the body is a child of nature, it should be treated livingly, with foods created by Nature. Any deviation is a disturbance of the Yin-Yang balance and resultant ill health.
3. Your fruits or vegetables should be organic, in so far as these are available. Avoid those foods that have been tainted with chemical fertilizers or harsh insecticides. While the ancient Orientalists were better able to partake of organically grown foods and thus, were free of this problem, modern people need to exercise care in selection of healthful food.
4. If you are tempted to eat spicy foods, select those that are very mild-they will bring less disturbance to this delicate Yin-Yang balance.
5. Your foods should be familiar to your climate and your environment. The Oriental healers feel that the Yin-yang precision balance is best maintained when foods are in harmony with the immediate surroundings. If you must eat something exotic or different, just consume a small portion until you are able to adjust your harmony to this strange food.
6. All fruits and vegetables should be in season.
Pomegranate : Chemical composition: (a) Alkaloids viz., pseudopelletierine, pellatierine, isopelletierine, methylpelletierine (b) Vitamin P activity (c) Mannitol and sorbitol.
The juice from the fresh fruit is an excellent cooling beverage for alleviating thirst in cases of hypertension patient. It acts on the liver, heart and kidneys and tones up their functions. It supplies the required minerals and helps the liver to preserve vitamin. A from the food. It increases the body’s resistance against high blood pressure.
Two teaspoon of the juice mixed with equal quantity of honey can be given with beneficial results in hypertension, can be used twice daily, is very effective in hypertension.
Precautions: The fruit should be eaten immediately after they are cut open as the seeds lose their colour quickly. Pipes should not be swallowed while eating the fruit. This is said to have bad effect in the intestines and may cause appendicitis.
Angur (Grapes): Chemical composition: (a) Acids, viz, oxalic acid, tartaric acid and other racemic acids (b) Sucrose.
Protein 0.7%, minerals 0.2%, carbohydrates 7.0%, calcium 20 mg, phosphorus 20 mg, iron 0.2 mg, vitamin C 31 mg.
The grape is a highly valued fruit mainly for its rich content of sugar which is formed almost entirely by glucose. The quantity of glucose in grapes varies from 15 to 25 pc in different varieties. The glucose is a predigested food and is absorbed in the body soon after its consumption. It supplies heat and energy to the body within a short time.
The therapentic value of grapes is closely linked with its richness in pure glucose. Studies have indicated that the production of energy essential for the proper functioning of the heart and organs of high physiological importance depends on the metabolism of glucose. Grapes, therefore, have a restorative effect by virtue of their easy assimilation. They are thus highly valuable in case of weak digestion, general debility and fever. When fresh grapes are not available, raisins soaked in water can be used.
Grapes are highly beneficial in the treatment of heart disease. They tone up the heart and are effective in cardiac pain and palpitation of the heart. Grape juice will be valuable when one is actually suffering from a heart attack.